All of the National Law Universities (NLUs), with the exception of the National Law University of Delhi, accept the Common Law Admission Test (CLAT), a well-known entrance exam for the legal profession. The All-India Law Entrance Test (AILET), however, is conducted by NLU Delhi in order to choose candidates for admission to the university.
The exam is conducted to select applicants for law programs at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels. There are currently 24 NLUs, and they are regarded as some of the best law schools in India. The most commonly administered law entrance exam in India is CLAT, which attracts over 70,000 applicants each year.
Standard Criteria to Follow: Get a Seat in the top NLUs
Considering the Location
- When looking for admissions, the first element to consider is the university’s location. Students usually prefer universities located in major metropolitan cities because they give them a greater chance of exposure.
- Moreover, these locations provide young law aspirants with good employment and opportunities for professional growth.
- Since the NLU will be where you are going to spend the subsequent five years of your academic career, the location is extremely important in choosing your preference list.
- Some students borrow money and have to reimburse for their personal expenditures, which is obviously more expensive in developed cities; other students prefer universities closer to their hometowns.
- Students must therefore carefully consider all options before making decisions about anything.
Considering the Existence of the University
- The existence of the university is another factor that students take into account when deciding on their list of choices. Students generally prefer older universities over new universities for a number of reasons.
- When a university continues to be operating for a significant amount of time, learning about its curriculum, resources, rankings, etc., is simpler.
- Little can be determined about the general academic standing of new colleges.
- Additionally, an institution’s alumni network expands with duration. Students have a greater opportunity to establish connections as a result, which greatly benefits them once they begin their professional careers.
Considering the Year of Establishment
- The university’s establishment year is also an important factor to consider when choosing an institution of higher education.
- Due to a number of factors, students generally prefer existing universities over new ones.
- The universities that have remained in operation for a considerable amount of time make it easier for you to get information because you can find out about their academic programs, placement rates, academic records, rankings, and other facilities.
- There isn’t much data available about the performance and reputation of newly established universities.
- Additionally, a greater alumni community is associated with an older university, which gives students an increased chance to network. The majority of details regarding a university can be determined by analyzing its prior performance.
Considering the Placement Records
- It goes without emphasizing that the most popular cities for obtaining a legal degree are those that offer employment opportunities to students.
- Law students usually prefer registering at a National Law University that is located in a location that has a considerable number of law firms and opportunities for employment because they have to complete a number of internships throughout their undergraduate degree.
- Many students begin their careers in litigation while still pursuing their degrees. They can choose to attend classes during the day while completing the internship throughout the evenings or on weekends if they are given the chance to do so in the city where the university is situated.
- Other than that, some students prefer NLUs that are nearest courts. Due to its close vicinity to the Supreme Court of India, NLU Delhi is highly regarded among students.
- In addition to getting a larger selection of legal professionals to work under, students can consider trying to find internship opportunities close to and within high courts.
Considering the Course of Specialization
- When selecting their preferred NLUs, students must be certain of the specialization they desire to pursue.
- For instance, if you are interested in studying corporate law the institutes for CLAT Coaching in Jaipur asks you to narrow down your preference to choose one of the highly regarded NLUs, such as the West Bengal National University of Legal Sciences, the Bengaluru National Law School of India University, etc.
- Similarly, you can apply to universities suggested by different institutes for CLAT Coaching in Jaipur like Dr. Ram Manohar Lohiya National Law University in Lucknow, the Patna Chanakya National Law University, etc. if you desire to pursue litigation.
Considering the Breaks between Semesters
- While the significance of semester breaks is important for every student in college, it is particularly essential for those pursuing a career in law. Every law student who wants to practice must do an internship.
- They must do as many paid internships as they’re able in order to shore up their Curriculum Vitae and improve their prospects of finding employment at reputable companies as soon as they graduate. As a result, practically all law students join a legal firm for an internship during their semester breaks.
- The absence of academic pressure allows the students to concentrate entirely on their studies.
- The best times for law school graduates to complete their internships and understand how the legal system operates are during semester breaks. Students at NLUs who have extended semester breaks are in a more advantageous position in such a situation.
Considering the Ranking by NIRF
- Each year, the National Institute Ranking Framework (NIRF), which evaluates universities based on an array of factors, releases a list of the preferred NLUs which is mostly discussed by the institutes providing CLAT Coaching in Jaipur which help in filling out the application form for the CLAT.
- Therefore, it is your decision to look into the NLUs’ NIRF rankings before finalizing the preference list.
Therefore, choosing the right NLUs according to your preference and established standard criteria could help you choose the right NLU keeping in mind your area of interests.