The first step in the procedure for anyone interested in a legal career in India is passing the Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) exam. The capacity you have to qualify for the CLAT exam will determine whether you are admitted to one of the recognized National Law universities in India. The examination is conducted by the Consortium of NLUs in India.
The exam is divided into multiple sections that assess the applicants based on different criteria. The section of the exam that matters the most is the section on Legal Reasoning for CLAT. To qualify for the CLAT’s legal reasoning section, an applicant must have a sound strategy in effect.
Purpose of the Section:The Legal Reasoning section for CLAT has developed into a comprehension-based aptitude examination with indirect and inference-based questions. The question paper for CLAT is designed by the Consortium to rationally evaluate the applicants.
Relevant Facts: CLAT Legal Reasoning
- The term legal reasoning causes confusion in a lot of students. In reality, this does not require a fundamental legal understanding to resolve a case. In this situation, general expertise in the field of law is required.
- Several legal reasoning questions ask you to use legal reasoning to resolve particular case studies. Instead of testing your legal knowledge in these particular questions, the way you respond to questions will be evaluated.
- The questions on legal reasoning usually take the form of passages that explain a real or hypothetical event. The following questions require the applicants to examine the passages from the perspective of law.
- If you can handle it right, this is a domain that will result in great scores. You are only required to have a fundamental understanding of the subject to perform exceptionally well at this level.
- Understanding what is asked in the question is a crucial skill for answering the questions in this section. Candidates are given passages to read, and then they have to respond to questions. In order to understand the passage’s meaning and accurately answer the questions, it is important that applicants understand it in the first place.
Examination Pattern: CLAT Legal Reasoning
It is expected that there will be 120 passage-based questions with multiple choices on the CLAT exam paper for UG Law program admissions, awarding a total of 120 marks.
- The section on legal reasoning in the CLAT exam carries a weightage of 23.33- 26% in the paper.
- The legal reasoning section in the CLAT examination consists of 35-39 multiple-choice-based questions.
- Each legal reasoning question in the particular section carries one mark with -0.25 marks for each wrong answer
Tentative Syllabus: CLAT Legal Reasoning
It is crucial to have a thorough understanding of the Legal Reasoning section for the CLAT syllabus and topics before beginning CLAT preparation.
- Topics on Research Aptitude
- Topics on the Indian Penal Code
- Topics on the Law of Torts
- Topics on the Indian Contract Act
- Significant rulings of the Supreme Court
- Topics on General Legal Principles
- Topics on Problem-solving ability
- Questions based on Hypothetical situations
Recommended Books: CLAT Legal Reasoning
The three important books for the section on Legal Reasoning are-
- Objective Legal Aptitude (R S Agarwal)
- Legal Awareness and Legal Reasoning(Pearson) and
- Legal Aptitude and Legal Reasoning (A P Bhardwaj)
Preparation Strategy: CLAT Legal Reasoning
Inculcate the habit of Reading Daily
- If you want to perform well, the habit of daily reading is of the utmost importance.
- Your vocabulary will develop and you’ll read legal as well as non-legal texts quickly if you have a healthy reading habit.
- Reading newspapers, books, magazines, and journals can help you acquire a habit. Furthermore, it is going to help in obtaining information for the General Knowledge section.
Try making an attempt on Sample papers
- On a regular basis solve as many sample papers as you possibly can.
- The section of CLAT legal reasoning sample papers from previous years posted by different institutes for Best CLAT Coaching in Jaipur will let you explore a wide range of question types while highlighting your areas of weakness. Often select mock tests as well.
- If at all feasible, take a practice test every two weeks as it will help you get prepared to take the actual exam.
Improve your skills in Time Management
- Many candidates overlook managing their time, despite its importance.
- In your preparation, lay a strong emphasis on time management.
- The most effective way to enhance your ability to manage time while addressing questions is to regularly practice the test papers from the previous year posted on different websites of the Best CLAT Coaching in Jaipur.
6 Last Week Strategy: CLAT Legal Reasoning
An adequate strategy for last week’s preparation is far more crucial than an entire year of planning.
- The most important task is to complete the previous year’s CLAT question papers uploaded by different Best CLAT Coaching in Jaipur because it will help you strengthen the management of time and problem-solving abilities.
- Attempt to finish at least two or three practice tests each day.
- On a daily basis, review all the key formulas.
- Stay updated by reading the newspaper and editorials daily.
- Remain positive and relaxed.
- Take good care of yourself.
You must keep in mind that the highest legal reasoning scores will be given the first preference in the case of a tie. This shows how important Legal Reasoning is to your CLAT score, which ultimately determines which NLU you are going to study.
If you have never before encountered legal terminologies or maxims. No need to worry, though! If you practice a lot, you can ace the section on legal reasoning in CLAT.