As the CLAT exam design has changed over the past few years, candidates have had to stay alert. A shift in the question paper pattern is noted even in 2024. The exam’s time remained unchanged, despite the test having fewer questions. The questions were noticeably longer, though. Nowadays, comprehension-based questions are present in every section of the CLAT exam. This means that long sections are followed by three to six related questions.
In addition to the understanding portion, these questions might be very long, four or five lines at a time. In this kind of situation, it becomes imperative that test takers practice reading quickly enough to answer all of the questions asked on the test. You can improve your reading speed and ace the CLAT.
Steps to Master Speed Reading: CLAT Beneficial
Sub-Vocalization Must be Your Utmost Priority
- Sub vocalization is a trait that is common to every individual. Also known as the inner monologue, it is the process of speaking words in one’s head as they read.
- This could, however, provide a challenge for you as you read. You do not have to read in your mind exactly as you read aloud. While children are taught to read, this is a good practice, but once an individual becomes proficient in reading, this method of reading aloud in mind can hinder the speed.
- If you are finding it difficult to practice, consider reading while chewing gum or listening to calming instrumental music. This diversion may assist you in repressing your subvocalization.
Utilizing the Technique of Word Chunking
- Word chunking is the practice of reading several words at once. This may also be viewed as a step toward getting rid of the inner monologue.
- Our brain can process many words at once, even if our inner monologue has trained us to read one word at a time.
- You may understand multiple sentences at once thanks to your peripheral vision. To start, you can take about three words at a time.
- Unless you become an expert, practice constantly increasing the number of words you take in.
Avoid Re-reading of Words
- The majority of us have the tendency to constantly move back and forth between the text we read.
- It can be difficult to break the habit of rereading. It is a time-wasting habit that can cost you a lot of time.
- As silly as it may seem, you may break the habit of holding your finger while reading. It’s not as simple as it sounds to ace the CLAT.
Set Up a Timer for Yourself
- It is advised by the teachers from the institutes providing CLAT Coaching in Jaipur to keep track of the number of words you are able to read in a minute when you exercise or study at home.
- Record your score and carry out this procedure again, attempting to surpass your own record.
- You can quickly improve your reading speed if you keep playing this small game!
Make Your Own Commitment
- Holding yourself responsible for the outcomes will make sure you concentrate on reading and hitting the goal you set for yourself.
- Make a daily or weekly commitment and follow through on it. Remember to pamper yourself after you reach your goal.
Read as much as You Can
- The saying “Practice makes a man perfect” is widely known. This rule is true for everyone, regardless of their profession, artist, musician, athlete, or reader.
- You will get better at reading as you do more of it. Develop the daily routine of reading for pleasure.
- Remember to read something even if it isn’t from your curriculum on the days you take off from studying.
Make Use of a Marking Pen
- You can use this small method as often advised by expert teachers in CLAT Coaching in Jaipur to help you stay focused if you discover that your eyesight is slipping while reading the passage.
- All you have to do is slide an index card down as you read each line, keeping it there below.
- This will guarantee that you maintain your reading focus and do not stray from the subject.
Analyze the Key Ideas First
- Breathe deeply and relax when you have to read everything quickly because you are pressed for time.
- The primary understanding points should be read first. Read the introduction, the conclusion, and the middle. Comprehend everything in your mind and gain understanding.
- Don’t make reading this way your go-to habit every time. You should only do this if you have no other choice and are in a hurry. We hope that this helped you to ace the CLAT.
When it pertains to the competitive CLAT surroundings, where applicants from various institutes providing CLAT Coaching in Jaipur are given restricted time, being skilled in fast reading can be extremely helpful. For this difficult examination, having the ability to read quickly, soak up ideas well, and evaluate things is important. CLAT aspirants are able to study an extensive amount of information in a relatively brief period of time through the use of speed-reading strategies. They may also approach the examination with confidence and gain a tactical edge.